Monday, May 4, 2009

Our Morning Visitor


I love Todd's face in this picture, he can't say he isn't afraid!


So last Friday I was talking to my mom on the phone & look out the back window & see a HUGE long snake. It was in the grass so it was hard to tell if it was a rattlesnake or not, however Brennen & his friend Cutter had killed a baby rattler on Tuesday afternoon, so I wasn't taking any chances with this huge thing. I immediately hang up with mom & call Todd, of course no answer, so I keep calling till finally he answers & was like what do you need?! I tell him you have to come home now, he says what's going on, so I inform him of the huge snake sunbathing in our grass and I didn't really care what it was, it had to go. So he hurries home, thankfully only 4 miles away, but it did seem like it took him forever. By the time he got there the snake had moved on from the grass to the rock & was slithering away, I did realize at this point it wasn't a rattlesnake, so I went outside & followed it enough that I could see where it was so he could find it. He finally shows up (of course packing his 9mm ready to blow the snake to smitherins I suppose!) he looks at it & says that is a bull snake, he needs to just stay here, he will eat the rattlesnakes & the ground squirrels. I refuse this idea, I can't have a huge snake slithering around ready to take a bite out of my little boys while they play! Todd gets the broom & picks the snake up & puts it in an ice chest to take back to work to show it off as all little boys would do! He then brings the snake back home later that day to let it go, I was still unhappy with this, so he let it go behind our house quite a ways back. Anyway it was about 6 foot long and pretty fat. In the coiled up picture by the bricks half of its body is on the other side of the brick and it actually doesn't look that big in the ice chest, but you can tell it is huge when Todd is picking it up with the broom.

I suppose this is just how life is when you live in the middle of nowhere and there is farm fields & desert surrounding you!

5 comments:

The Mason's said...

Rattlesnake or not, it is still scary. Like father like son I suppose....you know those two can't let one go, it always has to turn into something else!!! Glad to see your back at it with the blogging!!

melinda said...

Oh YIKES! I HATE snakes. I'd have freaked too. You are at least nice enough to let it in your ice chest. I think I'd have only given up a garbage bag;) ha ha!

Hall-A-Days said...

Someone is gonna get bit!!! And what is this about Brennen killing them now! Don't they know this isn't cool?

Unknown said...

That is too funny! You guys worry about snakes, we worry about moose and mtn lions! to each his own, I suppose! Love Todd's face...will have to share that one with Kurt! :) love ya

w said...

After seeing that, I am glad all we have our scorpions! scary!