Monday, November 10, 2008

GRADUATION DAY!!







Well it finally happened! Todd is a college graduate. After 8 years in the making it is finally done with. I think he is glad it is done, however Sunday morning when he woke up he said I am not sure what to do with myself, I am going to have to set some more personal goals. I am glad to be married to someone who has the desire to set goals and achieve them, however sometimes I would just like him to sit back, relax, and enjoy life instead of moving on to the next thing. Maybe a part of me is jealous because I am not that way. I know what I would like to do, but because my biggest goal is to raise successful kids, I put any "personal goals" I may have to the side so I can work on the important goal of my kiddos. Anyhow what a great day it was. We went to the University of Phoenix Stadium for the graduation. His parents, Grandma Pat & Papa Tito, Grandma Stell & Papa Junior and his sister Lindy came to support him. My parents were also there, and Brennen, Mak, & Garret. We opted to leave Russ with Tiffany (our fabulous neighbor & Russy's 2nd mom) because it was going to be a long time to have to sit with a 10 month old and he wasn't feeling very well either. Todd had lots of support from all of us! It seriously felt like some kind of a dream, seeing him down there in his cap & gown waiting for his name to be called. I was so proud of him, it is such an accomplishment. He is the first college graduate on his Mom's side of the family, and I believe the second on his Dad's side. So everyone is very proud of him for sticking it out and finishing it. Saturday night Garret told Todd I want to be a graduate just like you...that was great and I know that was a big part of why he finished, he had to show the kids how important it is to get a college degree & mostly to finish what you start...even if it takes a looooong time!


So after the graduation we came home & got ready for our big celebration. We had invited just over 100 people to come, and we had around 90 show up (including kids)! It was so much fun. We had worked so hard to make it a fun party. The house we are living in didn't have a back yard, we are just renting it, but we talked with the owners & they let us put in landscaping. So we started the project in August and finished it last week, with lots of help from great friends & neighbors! Anyway so we had landscaped the yard, and I had been decorating the inside of the house for months, just working hard so things would be nice.

A few weeks ago Todd bought a pig from a guy in our ward, he fed it & fattened it up, then he killed it on Wed, poor pig, his name was BB, short for BBQ since that was his sole purpose in life! With the help of a friend (since this was his first time to do this sort of thing) they cut the pig up. Todd had built a below ground pit to cook the pig in. So after cutting the pig up it rested over night (mind you it was up in the air in gunny sacks hanging from some equipment at work!) he was worried all night that it was going to break and then the coyotes would eat it & we would have no meat. Luckily the meat was fine when he got to work the next day. He brought it home & we seasoned it up really good, then he went back to start his fire because he needed 2 feet of coals to cook the meat in. So he finally put the meat in to cook, talk about a nervous wreck! I felt like I was going to go crazy inside until I knew the meat was going to be fine, trying to feed that many people was not going to be an easy task if something went wrong with BB! Meat came out & was delicious!! We were so excited. Another task completed! With the help of our great friends we shredded all the meat up and I could finally relax!

So Saturday evening came, time for the party! People started showing up and the food was ready, we blessed it & dung in! From what everyone said it was very good. I was to busy making the rounds talking to everyone and keeping the food going. At one point I did manage to snag a plate, however I was interrupted for something & handed my plate off & never seen it again! Later that night I found out Todd never ate either! It was just nice to have that many family & friends at our house visiting & enjoying each other. It was such a great time, I was so glad that we were able to do it and celebrate that Todd had finally graduated!

1 comment:

Brian and Ami said...

Congratulations Todd! That is a huge accomplishment! College wasn't the easiest thing for me when I was single (and with no kids) - so I applaud your hard work and dedication!!